It’s the most wonderful time of the year… but also the time when you’re most likely to encounter theft.
If you’re like me and millions of other Americans, you often to do a portion of your shopping online. It’s quick, you’re able to find exactly what you’re looking for, and you can even get free shipping. Better yet, you don’t have to brave the crowds at the mall or on the road! However, shopping online means that you don’t have the luxury of being handed your purchase as soon as your credit card goes through; your items will either end up in your mailbox or on your front steps where they have a much higher chance of being stolen.
Follow these tips to avoid theft at your home during the holidays and make sure your friends and family aren’t left empty-handed!
- Review your homeowners insurance coverage. One way to combat the financial blow from stolen packages is to be prepared in case it happens. A loss resulting from theft is covered by most homeowners insurance policies as part of your personal property coverage. So, if your holiday gifts are stolen right from your porch, you can be reimbursed by your insurance company.
- Track your packages. Most major online retails offer the option to track your packages once the order has been placed. You can even receive text or email notifications providing updates on your purchase so you’ll know the precise moment when it lands on your doorstep. Lower the chances of your packages being stolen by tracking them closely and retrieving them as soon as they reach your home. If you think you won’t be available when your order arrives, provide shipping instructions before placing your order to let the mail carrier know of a specific hiding spot to leave your package.
- Keep your property well-lit. This applies year-round, but thieves are less likely to trespass onto your property and steal your items if your home is flooded with light. Dark yards make theft much easier as passersby are much less likely to see the thief in action and call the police. Invest in some floodlights (or cover your property in Christmas lights… ’tis the season!) to lessen your chances of stolen property.
- Lock every possible entryway. Thieves won’t necessarily try to break into your front door especially if it’s facing a road, so make sure all of your doors and windows are locked before heading out. It’s good to do this whether you’re away for a week, a day, or an hour.
- If you’re on vacation, hire a house-sitter or trustworthy neighbor. 112.5 million Americans are projected to travel for the holidays this year. If you’re one of them, you don’t want it to be obvious that your home is unoccupied. Ask a neighbor or hire a house-sitter to get your mail every day and turn on some lights to make it seem as if you’re home. You can also invest in lights that are triggered by a timer so you don’t have to worry about wasting power.
Whether you’re spending the holiday season at home or away with family/friends, we’d like to wish you a wonderful holiday and a Happy New Year!
Call Risk Averse Insurance in Media, PA to discuss your personal or business insurance needs.
Risk Averse Insurance is an independent insurance agency in Delaware County that specializes in providing high-quality insurance products at an affordable price.